(28w2d, Hospital Day 10)
My life right now is very exciting (*snort*)
5:30-6:00 am Wake up on my own or by someone in a white coat shoving a large needle in my arm (you know, either way... whatever); medications. Start watching local, national and international news.
6:00-7:00 am more news watching, occasionally punctuated by a text to Matt and periodic quick naps; shift change
8:00 am Breakfast arrives (hey, these are big events one looks forward to with baited breath and an empty stomach); medications
9:00-11:00 am (approx) monitoring starts. Four monitors, one belly, 2 hrs laying flat. Need I say more? Watching TV. Occasional discussion with nurse and housekeeper regarding Oprah's topic of the day.
11:00 am (if I am lucky... if the Wiggly Ones don't cooperate, make that 11:30) the highlight of my pitifully simple day.... SHOWER!
11:30 am I pour my non-makeup-ed, non-blow-dried but now squeaky clean body back into my bed with crisp new sheets; medications
12:00 am Lunch. No really... nothing like food to break up the monotony
1:00-5:00 pm Nap on and off (which I desperately need), watch TV, read, chat up the nurses, return phone calls and snack
5:00 pm Dinner arrives, but as I have most likely eaten a snack or two, I hold the tray to be warmed later when Matt arrives
5:30-6:00pm Matt calls to say he is on his way to the hospital. What do I want to eat?; medications
6:30 ish pm Matt arrives and we get some time to chat
7:00 pm Shift change
9:00 pm Another round of monitoring; medications
10:00-11:00 pm Matt heads home
11:00 pm - 5:30 am Episodes of deep sleep (thank you, A.mbien!) punctuated by bathroom breaks (think hourly...), blood pressure measurements and medications (midnight and 4am).
Major Decisions I Make Every Day
Forget the life-or-death decisions I used to make in the hospital. This is where the REAL decisions are made:
1) What time do I want my monitoring done in the morning? What time at night?
2) When do I want my shower?
3) What will I eat for a snack in the afternoon?
4) What do I want to order off the menu for tomorrow?
But the most important recurrent, vital decision that I make on a daily basis?
5) Now that I am back in bed from the bathroom... do I want to lay down on my left or right side????? I have to admit this one sometimes stumps me sometimes for a few minutes :-).
So there you have it. A day in my life.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.
Although a bit monotonous, it is the life of a human incubator.
And every day they spent in THIS incubator is 2-3 days they won't spend in the NICU incubator.
Still hoping this life-distilled-down-to-basics schedule continues for at least another week or two.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey you!!! Sorry the visit on Sunday didn't materialize......juggling 2 kids is a challenge - especially when one is breastfed............I am SO glad to hear how well things are going - I love reading your updates and am glad you feel well enough to write daily!! Your schedule sounds lovely - it is so true about the hospital NOT being the place to really get rest:) Have you seen Dr. Peri yet??? So curious about what he will say:) Just a funny aside, even after the babes are born, taking a shower and eating remain highlights of the day:) I haven't taken mine today as of yet.........but I ALWAYS take the time to eat - you and I just might be kindred spirits:) Take good care and enjoy the scenery change with the rain clouds gathering........pretty sunsets though!!!!
The post made me laugh, thanks. I wish I were closer so I could do something to make your stay a little better--chocolate peanut butter cookies by Fed Ex okay? Seriously.
Post a Comment