Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Long Time, No Post

All right.
So I have been horribly neglectful in posting.
And in returning emails, voice mails and text messages.
Would it matter if I said I had been terribly sick and thus much more wrapped up in attempting to survive this postpartum period than in blogging about my woes?

So today is Tuesday.
Friday evening I was put back on the Mag.
Yes, that would be the Medication From Hell.
The one that I was talking smack about in my last post.
But see my blood pressure became uncontrolled (194/108) and I was hyperreflexic and "twitchy", putting me at risk for seizure.
So I did another stint on Mag.
Seeing as no bamboo was handy, I did so without sawing off my arms :-).

I remained quite ill with blood pressures that were anything but well-controlled despite high doses of multiple medications.
That is until late last night.
Dr. Peri tried a different combination.
And... well... my body seems to agree.

So much so that I am leaving Room 304 (*sigh of nostalgia*) for good tonight.
Yep, I am being discharged.
Well ain't I the bomb?

I have a serious stint of recuperation ahead of me as not only the pregnancy, but the long episode of bed rest and the complicated post-severe-preeclampsia-post-partum course has left me significantly drained.

But enough about me...
Let's talk about the babies.

No, we have not officially named them.
Yes, we get asked that all the time.
We have names.
But have been wanting to take our time so as not to regret the decision later.

So for today at least, they remain Alpha, Beta and Charlie

In short, they are all doing well.
Charlie has had the most complicated course, developing a serious pulmonary complication which required a fancy-dancy-jet ventilator.
But a mini-miracle later... and he is not only off the ventilator, but the condition has completely resolved on x-ray.
What a super star.

They are all currently on room air.
Requiring absolutely no supplemental oxygen.
So far so good.

Really we couldn't ask for anything better for their gestational age.
So now we wait.
Wait for them to grow.
Wait for their GI tracts to mature so they can tolerate more feedings.
Wait for them to stop the disconcerting periodic apneic and bradycardic episodes.

Now that I am on the mend, I will update with some good pictures in the next few days.

6 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Stay in your jammies for months, if need be. A friend told me that people will never overstay their welcome while visiting if you're in jammies, but will stay and chit chat for far longer than your recuperating body can handle if you're gussied up (as it were). Take care of yourself! Way to go babies!

CJMsquared+6 said...

Glad to hear that those precious babies are doing well... You take care of yourself... I have never had triplets but the recovery of having one child without any complication is hard enough, I can only imagine what yours will be like. Hopefully you will let us know when and what you name those babies!!

Brittany said...

I think about you and the babies all the time. I am glad they are doing well! Sorry to hear you have been sick! Hope you will heal as quick as possible! We will so excited to hear the names!

The Laundry Queen said...

By the way, have the perfect name for A. Borrowed from Jermaine Jackson. Jermajesty. Awesome, huh? She'll never have another one in her class!

Liz Laudie said...

Happy to hear you've got things under control enough to go home. When you don't hear for a while the mind begins to wonder. I think Alpha, Beta, and Charlie sounds good, easy to remember, but I bet you you've got something better in mind. Keep improving the health, and can't wait to see more pics.

Rich

The Harveys said...

Congratulations, Catherine and Matt! I saw Theresa Rassmussen at Challenger School this morning and she gave me the news. I am so thrilled for you guys!! We moved out of the ward almost a year ago...it is amazing to see what can happen in a year! I'm sure it has been quite a roller coaster for you. I wish you all the very best!