Monday, September 15, 2008

Look Ma, No Tube!

There is, south of Las Vegas, a particularly thrilling roller coaster.
It is categorized as a "hypercoaster" characterized by the lack of loops or inversions, but known for steep  drops and high speeds.  I am not a fan of heights, but I would go on the Desperado over and over as a challenge... to scare myself to death and prove to myself that I could manage the fear.

Now I understand why Dr. R warned us that our NICU course would be a roller coaster.
As of today, I feel like we are on the Desperado... only in slow motion.

Sunday morning Matt and I went over to the hospital for what we thought would be a quick visit for a few hours prior to heading back to our side of town for church.  But when we arrived, Isaac was not doing well.  His respiratory status had worsened, he had a significant increase in secretions requiring frequent suctioning which is VERY uncomfortable for him,  and his CXR (chest x-ray) was "cruddy" per Dr. R causing concern that he had a bacterial pneumonia on top of the Candidiasis sepsis.  Needless to say, we never made it to church.  In fact I was on the verge of tears all day.

***As an aside, I do anything possible NOT to cry in the NICU.
I kept telling myself, "There is no crying in NICU!!!!"
Think Tom H.anks in A League of Their Own ("Crying?  There's no crying in baseball!")***

Just before we left on Sunday, they started a new respiratory treatment which helped significantly and they were able to suction a very large amount of secretions out of his lungs.  He was resting more comfortably and oxygenating better when we left to go home.

It was with trepidation that I entered the NICU this morning (for I never really know what I will be faced with)... to find out that our little buddha had extubated (removed the ventilator tube) himself this morning.  And go figure... he was tolerating being on SiPAP (a step down from the vent-- a machine which supports his breathing but doesn't require a tube down his throat).  We are waiting on some culture results as he still may have a bacterial pneumonia.  We should also know tomorrow whether or not the medication is eradicating the yeast or if he has a resistant strain.  Despite the continued questions regarding his infections, he was still doing ok off of the ventilator when we left the hospital tonight.  Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but so far so good.

Emery and Parker continue to progress.  They are very entertaining!  Parker especially is very expressive and alert.  I hope to post new pictures of them in the next few days. 


5 comments:

CJMsquared+6 said...

Get that tube out!! What a fighter you have on your hands! I am glad that Isaac is slowly improving. As for Emery and Parker being entertaining...they just keep getting more entertaining as they grow. I'll keep your babies in my prayers.

Natalie said...

Come on Isaac! I agree with Chelsea...he is quite the fighter. I think he will give Parker a run for his money in a few years. Sounds like Parker is definitely going to be the ham in the family like his mom LOL. I'm hoping that this roller coaster ends soon and you guys can rest easy. ((((HUGS))))

Jessica said...

Poor little buddha and his tubes and fungi and stuff. I know he will get better soon. And I cry at the drop of hat so I'm impressed that you can usually hold it in in the NICU. I would probably flood the place out on a daily basis.

Brittany said...

Who needs to watch a soap opera when you are living one! Always thinking of you guys.

Shenay said...

Well wishes to little Isaac. Keep fighting buddy. Good to hear that Parker and Emery are doing so well and putting a smile on your face. And hey, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you shed a tear or two in the NICU - you're a mom now and that special bond you have w/your children means a huge risk that you may just lose it now and again. You're being so strong and admire you for it. Our prayers are w/you and your babies.