It has been a while since I posted.
To be honest, I was in quite a foul mood on a few days this week and just couldn’t bear to write about it.
Let’s just say this pregnancy is hard.
I have good days and bad days.
And I had my share of bad ones this week.
For starters, my abdomen became very sore to the touch and I felt as if my abdominal muscles were slowly being ripped apart (ummmm… I believe that was exactly what was/is happening), throw in a good measure of food coming up into my throat hours after eating if I had the gall to eat a normal meal portion, plus a dash of swelling which included gaining an average of one pound a day for the last two weeks culminating in me now eerily resembling the M.ichelin M.an….
EXHIBIT 1

Who wouldn’t want to do this for another 8 weeks?
Dr. Peri keeps referencing my “preeclampsia” although he concedes that technically I don’t fit the criteria since my kidneys are not spilling protein. He seems to consider this purely a formality and an inevitable occurrence. He emphasizes to me at every chance that I should expect to be hospitalized any day. I, on the other hand, gleefully point out at every possible opportunity any minute detail that may indicate I will be proving him wrong when he says, “I don’t expect to be delivering you in the next week or so, but I doubt you will make it much beyond that”.
That is a challenge if I have ever heard one.
And anyone that knows me knows I am a sucker for a challenge.
Now, if I can only get my kidneys on board…
But I am proud to say that I managed to avoid wearing gowns that close in the back with my hiney hanging out for at least another three days. A small success for sure.
Our growth ultrasound yesterday was great in that the babies still appear to be developing well anatomically. All of their parts seem to be functioning well and appear to be in the right place. The one glaring exception? They continue to be small. Very small. Small even for triplets (and believe me…. that is small!). The computer estimates them to weigh approximately 1.5 lbs, but he seems to think that is a stretch (Dr. Peri points out this is another sign of my preeclampsia).
But as Dr. Peri concedes… there is nothing that I can do at this point but wait, hope, pray, continue to lay on the couch... and monitor my blood pressure and kidneys twice a week. I will continue to see him every week as well.
Every week from here on out is a blessing.
Dr. Peri says he won’t start smiling until I hit 28 weeks.
And believe me… I REALLY want to make him smile :-).
P.S. After reading this post it occurs to me that I paint Dr. Peri in a very pessimistic light. To be fair, he is just very blunt. He did have me schedule appointments out four weeks in advance. Perhaps an unintentional positive impulse he couldn't fully squash? Hmmmmm.

5 comments:
Good to hear from you. You ARE a very determined sort, I remember that. Thinking of you.
Hi there -
Well my dear, I don't know what to say - it is beginning to sound too cliche to keep saying "hang in there" and "keep your spirits up".....I cannot truly imagine how you are feeling, since I am not in your shoes, but I do know how fiercely you are working to keep your babies healthy and happy - there are no words to describe what kind of bond there is between and mom and her unborn baby/babies - a journey that begins from the instant you realize you are pregnant:) Keep your eyes on the prizes:) and love yourself..........thoughts and prayers with you all:) If this is any consolation, I am pretty sure you are getting better sleep than I am right about now:)
Good to hear that things are going pretty well. Just hang in there. You are so close to the finish line! We will pray for no protein and a low b.p.!
Have you found anything that works to make your stomach feel better? I am only 17 weeks with one baby but I am already feeling that ripping. It feels like a perma Indian burn. I wish you all the best! You are my Pregnancy Hero!!! When I'm having a bad prego day I think about you and say if she can do it I can do it.
you are also my fertility/pregnancy hero!!
i'm sure you have your days, but you always seem to have such a great outlook on things. i really don't like being pregnant...not a thing about it. and when i think of you and all you've been through...with a positive attitude...it helps me adjust my own attitude.so, thank you for that!! :)
i'm glad i got to talk to you last week!! i think of you often.
keep those babies in there (as if you can help it :)
love, kristen
Post a Comment