And unlike today I was not feeling very snarkey.
So I failed to elaborate on a very important part of our appt with Dr. Peri.
See, I have
So imagine my shock when I got my first "Yes" yesterday. David (my brother for those not in-the-know when it comes to my fam) is getting hitched on June 21st (I will be 22 weeks). Luckily said pairing is occurring just down the interstate a bit in L.A. (otherwise I would be out of luck since it has been drummed into my head that Initially-quint-with-twins-lost-which-were-located-over-the-cervix-now-triplet pregnancies and airplanes DO NOT MIX). But I figure that a reclined front-seat in the car and frequent stops would essentially mimic my couch potato routine.
I have been debating the timing of informing (yes, not asking) Dr. Peri that I will be leaving town for two days (that is, on the condition that all was well in utero). Instead of waiting until the very last second possible (my next appt is scheduled for the morning we are leaving), I was "feeling the love" yesterday as he seemed so pleased with how the little buggers are developing, with my so-far-obedient uterus, and with my general compliance with his instructions. I informed/asked him.
And he said, "Yes".
No lectures on stopping frequently to walk around. No reminding me I am a ultra-high-risk triplet pregnancy. No rebuking me for even WANTING to leave the confines of our valley while I am gestating precious cargo. No scary stories of me developing monster clots. In fact, he didn't even remind me to take it easy and rest a lot while we are gone.
Perhaps a consequence of the fact that I am ACTUALLY quitting work next week as instructed? He seemed genuinely surprised by my compliance when I swore to him my last day is next week :-). I think I earned some brownie points by giving the job the 'ol heave-ho as ordered. And maybe, just maybe he has determined that although I am interested in knowing where my boundaries are, I have no intention of jeopardizing this pregnancy by non-compliance. They say doctors make the worst patients (and you know, I believe whoever "they" are to be right). But in this case I am playing it straight. I think he actually believes me now.
Emboldened by my first ever "Yes", Matt looked at each other and I dove in... head first.
"Well," I said, "then there is this other thing..."
See Matt's family has a yearly traditional trip to the San Diego area over July 4th. We stay at a Aviara-- a gorgeous resort with all the amenities where Bob and Marsha have a membership. Their spa is fabuloso... I feel a light-bed-rest-friendly-spa-day coming on (PLEASE... a pedicure! My feet seem to be getting less and less accessible by the week...) Despite the monologue I prepared in my head just in case begging was needed (You know... but Dr. Peri, I promise to spend my whole time lying by the pool/beach while Matt feeds me grapes...) I was convinced he would shoot me down since I will be 24 weeks. But I was on a roll, and it couldn't hurt to ask, now could it?
After I explained, he said, "Sure".
In fact, he wanted to talk about how pretty the area is where we will be staying.
At this point, I am starting to wonder what the nurses did with Dr. Peri...
I also got clarification regarding bed rest. I am to keep my activity level low, but as long as things continue to go brilliantly, I won't be confined to the house until 28 weeks. Fabulous!

1 comment:
Way to go! No one can keep you and Matt from traveling. Have fun and tell Dave congratulations from Rich and Liz.
Post a Comment