Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I Have Some Good News And Some Bad News...

The last set of quints born in Las Vegas was in 1987.
The last set of quads born in Las Vegas was in 1997.

Which means there is no one currently practicing here that has delivered quints.

I called the office of Dr. E.lliott… known by some as the “Q.uad God”. He is the most experienced MD in the US in regards to treatment of women with high order multiples. His quints on average gestate nearly three weeks longer than the national average. I heard a rumor that he would consult with local Perinatologists for women who were unable to travel to Arizona. So I called and talked to one of his nurses. He will consult with my doctor, but will also do a phone consult with us to give us an idea of our odds, his recommendations, etc.

I tentatively set one up for Friday.

As an aside, my insurance agreed that if my Perinatologist says my case requires treatment and experience not available here, they will most likely pay for me to be treated in Arizona.

So armed with such information, we met with the Perinatologist this morning.
He will hereafter and forever more (or at least until I change his name) be known as Dr. Peri.

Dr. Peri was nice but also very straightforward... no sugar coating for sure.

The twins are monochorionic (25% miscarriage rate and risk of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome).
And are lying over my cervix.
Apparently this is significant b/c loss of the twins, increases the risk of losing the whole pregnancy (and as a reminder, the twins are not progressing normally).

He was very clear from the beginning that my “situation” is beyond the experience of those in our state. He strongly recommended that I speak with (or travel to meet with) a good friend of his who happens to be the US guru of high order multiple pregnancies. This MD has delivered close to 100 quads, and several sets of quints. You guessed it… Dr. E.lliott.

After the ultrasound, Dr. Peri called Dr. E.lliott and told him about me.

We have a phone consult with him tonight.

This pregnancy has just gotten even more complicated than expected.

But I am confident at least that I have great doctors on my side.
That has to count for something.

Will update tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dave Fuhriman said...

On the bright side, you have knowledge Mom never did... you know how many babies you've got in there. Looking forward to your update!